Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Balmain Jacket

I know I'm a season late to bring up the Balmain Jacket but I just started this blog recently and therefore couldn't obsess over it properly earlier. Let's just put it this way, when Balmain introduced it in their Spring 2009 collection, this one jacket made such an impression, that practically every fall collection this year has included a jacket similar to it. So, why the big fuss? After all, the military jacket has been done before. What sets this particular one apart is the ability of Balmain to juxtapose ruggedness with sophistication. Swarovski crystals accent the shoulders and give it a level of chicness that would otherwise be lost in the typical casual look that military jackets usually convey. Beyonce and Rihanna have both been photographed wearing it and I'm sure we'll be seeing many more fashionistas sporting the same look.

Who has been inspired by the jacket? I think a more appropriate question would be, who hasn't? Alice + Olivia, Chanel and even H&M have recreated the jacket and they all have the same formula: black structured jacket + big shoulders + crystal accents. I plan on picking up the H&M version as soon as I can get my hands on it.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, the Balmain jacket runs $11,410.


Balmain Spring 2009



Alice + Olivia Fall 2009


Chanel Fall 2009 RTW




No comments:

Post a Comment