Saturday, February 20, 2010

NYFW: Top 15 Collections


Thank God for New York Fashion Week. After McQueen's passing, I was devastated and felt as though my fashion world came crashing down. Initially, I didn't want to look at any of the New York collections. Like nothing else in fashion mattered if Lee wasn't going to design anymore. But then I got over the drama and started watching the shows. Seeing some of the lovely collections brought me out of the doom and gloom. Couture heals all wounds. I'm going to divide my review of New York Fashion Week with two separate posts; one for collections I loved and one for the ones I hated. First I'll start with my top 15 favorite collections (in alphabetical order):

1. Alice + Olivia. Youthful, hip, and simply chic. I always love what Stacey Bendet designs. Though not necessarily cutting edge fashion, it's definitely wearable and clothes that contemporary young women will love. Me being one of them!


2. Badgley Mischka. Sophisticated, classic and lovely. These men know how to make dresses. They know what looks good on a woman. They always deliver.


3. Carolina Herrera. Finally, something interesting to look at! Ms. Herrera's designs are always sophisticated and classic but there is a bit of creativity in this collection that showcases more than just another pretty gown.


4. Christian Siriano. I much preferred this collection over his Spring 2010 collection. These are the clothes every woman wants in her closet. They're simple, lovely and chic. And the shoes were hot too!


5. Diane von Furstenberg. The Queen of prints has charmed us again with her lovely, flowy dresses and wonderfully tailored suits. She can do no wrong in my eyes.


6. Halston. There is no one that represents New York fashion more than Carrie Bradshaw. So it is no surprise that SJP is going to be designing for the American brand. Although Carrie's look is a bit funkier than Halston's, Sarah's personal look seems to be a perfect fit with Halston. I loved what they showed for Fall. The use of primary colors was perfection and the yellow sweater dress and boots combo was my favorite look.


7. Herve Leger by Max Azria. So, you'd have to be a teeny-tiny model to be able to pull of these super-tight dresses, but they're hot nonetheless. I especially love the geometric lines and almost athletic look these dresses have.


8. Jeremy Scott. I love this man. He is definitely one of my favorite designers. Why do I love him? Because he has fun with clothes. Although some of his clothes aren't necessarily wearable (i.e., the black jumpsuit with the life-size cut out of a woman attached to it) but they're creative, they're fearless and they're damn cute! The collection is titled "Hanger Appeal" and is a tribute to the fashion industry. I loved the stained-glass looks and the gaudy rhinestone-embellished sweater dress. Scott never disappoints me.

9. L.A.M.B. Edgy, young, hip. I want every piece from this collection. Well done, Ms. Stefani.


10. Marchesa. Georgina Chapman is a creative genius. I loved this collection so much, I couldn't just pick 5 looks to show you. In fact, I'm going to show you 10 looks. Easily MY FAVORITE COLLECTION that showed in New York. Gorgeous!!!



11. Monique Lhuillier. The last show-stopping red gown that was sent down the runway defines Lhuillier as a master dress maker that makes women look breath-taking. I also loved the short green frock which almost has a Balmainesque look to it.


12. Nanette Lepore. We can't all wear floor-length gowns every day so it was refreshing to see relaxed yet trendy clothing you could wear every day. And although I'm clearly a fan of dresses, this was the only collection in which I really loved some of the separates, too. 



13. Oscar de la Renta. Cute short floral dresses? Check. Flirty cocktail dresses? Check. Gorgeous floor-length gowns? Check.


14. Proenza Schouler. I love this design team because they have a way of mixing prints, textures and colors without making it look  like a mismatched disaster. There is a method to their madness.


15. Vera Wang. Nothing ground-breaking but really pretty clothes nonetheless. It's Vera Wang...duh!

No comments:

Post a Comment