Monday, July 26, 2010

Ads I Love: Miu Miu Fall 2010


Since fashion magazines are basically 90% ads with a few articles sprinkled in here and there, it's important to not forget about the art that is the high-end designer fashion ad. Here is what I find makes an ad successful. 1. Pretty girls 2. Pretty clothes 3. Good lighting. That's it. Too many extra props, detailed scenery or too many people make the ad busy and draws attention away from what they're selling. Artsy/dark lighting makes it difficult to appreciate the clothes. I get frustrated when I see creative teams make these mistakes almost as if they don't even care if we can see the clothes. It's always obvious to me when they get it right, though. A perfect example of such an ad is Miu Miu's Fall 2010 Collection. As I flipped through my August Vogue, these ads immediately caught my attention due their simplicity, bright colors and fierce poses by Lindsey Wixson, Daphne Groeneveld, Ginta Lapina and Siri Tollerod. The dresses are fabulous (in fact, the purple floral frock has been used for 3 covers this summer), the girls are fabulous, and I couldn't ask for anything more.





No comments:

Post a Comment