Saturday, July 10, 2010

Fall Couture Fashion Week






There were only a handful of couture shows so I'm going to review all of them, in alphabetical order.

Alexis Mabille - Pretty clothes but my only complaint is that the collection looked more like a ready to wear collection then a couture one. Where is the drama? Where is the imagination? 






Armani Prive - Well-made suits and dresses that are reminiscent of Old Hollywood but are over all underwhelming. Mr. Armani's couture collection last year was one of my favorites so I was quite disappointed.





Bouchra Jarrar - I really enjoyed her use of lines in this collection and if it was a ready to wear show I would've given it a glowing review, but THIS IS COUTURE, people. Let's show some enthusiasm, please!






Chanel - Now this is couture! There is an extravagance nostalgic of Imperial Russia that demands attention. Although I didn't love every piece in the collection, there were over 60 looks that easily allowed me to pick several looks that I loved. Bravo, Lagerfeld.

 






Christian Dior - This was easily my favorite couture collection. I may have been a bit biased since I am floral-obsessed but the motif transcended a traditional floral theme and transformed the runway into a full-fledged garden. Galliano is no stranger to drama and extravagance and this collection is a perfect tribute to his loud voice. This man eat, sleeps, dreams couture. 







Elie Saab - I have always liked Elie Saab's point of view. He is able to make beautiful clothes that are exciting and edgy but without losing any femininity. My only complaint is that the majority of the color palette was somber with an emphasis of gray. The colorful pieces were gorgeous, though. Overall, a lovely collection.






Givenchy - There were only 10 pieces in this collection but each one was lovely. With an emphasis on white and gold, the dresses were beautifully embellished. When I picture what goddesses would wear, I'd picture one of these gowns. 






Jean Paul Gaultier - Yes, yes, yes. Loved everything about this collection from the bizarre head-pieces to the breath-taking floor length gowns. 






Valentino - I was skeptical after Valentino retired that anyone would be able to capture the "Valentinoness", a sort of femininity that is innate but not overdone. This collection reinforces my belief that Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pier Paolo Piccioli have been able to do Valentino justice. The use of bows and angelic shapes was perfection and I am a little bit obsessed with the bird-cage dress.





No comments:

Post a Comment