Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Golden Globes: Best and Worst Dressed

Overall I was quite impressed with the way everyone was dressed that night. Emerald green was definitely the "it" color of the night and long-sleeved, bedazzled, Dynasty-inspired dresses were also prevalent. Because there were more looks I liked than disliked, I'm gonna go through my top 20 favorite looks, some honorable mentions, then my 10 picks for worst dressed. All right, let's do this. 


1. Anne Hathaway in Armani Prive- She looked absolutely stunning from head to toe. Perfection.


2. Leighton Meester in Burberry Prorsum - The floor-length, long-sleeved, flowy gown was elegant and adorable at the same time. I love Leighton's vintage-inspired look and her predilection to abstract and interesting garments. I literally don't think anyone else could've pulled off this dress.



3. Olivia Wilde in Marchesa - She looks like a fairy princess. I didn't love that she had messy hair (she should've worn it up) but she gets extra points for wearing my favorite pair of shoes from 2010. 


4. Angelina Jolie in Versace - Angelina Jolie is an alien. I'm convinced she's not a real  person. She looks stunning and it's nice to see her in something other than black.  


5. Jayma Mays in Alberta Ferreti - How cute is Jayma Mays? I love her. She looks very elegant in this floor-length bejeweled gown. Just wish she would've stood straight.


6. Mandy Moore in Monique Lhullier - I love this color on Ms. Moore and there is the perfect amount of tulle in this garment.


7. Claire Danes in Calvin Klein - The color and clean, straight lines compliment her quite well. It's a modern twist on the classic American look.


8. Kyra Sedgwick in Emilio Pucci - Canary yellow is probably one of my favorite colors and although the dress is not spectacular, Kyra wears it well and that color, man that color just won me over.


9. Julia Stiles in Romona Keveza - Julia Stiles was a surprise for me. I don't typically think of her as a glamarous Hollywood star but she definitely looked the part that night. Lovely.


10. Eva Longoria in Zac Posen - Girlfriend looks fieeeerce. The dress fits her perfectly and she looks smoking. Tony, who?


11. Sandra Bullock in Jenny Packham - I haven't heard of Jenny Packham but this one-shouldered dress definitely caught my eye. I would love to see more of Ms. Packham's gowns on the red carpet. 


12. Amy Adams in Marchesa - Didn't this woman just have a baby? She looks amazing. And it's no secret that Marchesa is one of my favorite designers. The ruffles, the colors, the train. Perfection.


13. Christina Hendricks in Romona Keveza - Three words. Red-hot bombshell. I guess that was 2 words? Ok. Two words, one hyphen.


14. Amber Riley in Oliver Tolentino - This dress was a great choice for her. It flattered her figure and the minimal styling let the dress shine on its own. Bravo.


15. Catharine Zeta Jones in Monique Lhullier - Another emerald dress. What made this one unique and why I picked it over the other ones was that the texture was so interesting. And Mrs. Douglass looks so freakin regal in everything she wears.


16. Elisabeth Moss in Donna Karan - I loved the detail in the bodice of this dress. The sweetheart neckline was lovely and the color flattered her very much.


17. Mila Kunis in Vera Wang - I can see why so many stars opted for this color. It looks great on everyone. 


18. Heidi Klum in Marc Jacobs - This dress cost Ms. Klum many "worst-dressed" labels but I have to disagree. I think she looked fabulous in this retro Marc Jacobs dress. It was a bit casual for the event but she wasn't nominated for anything and didn't present anything so I think it was appropriate enough. 


19. Lea Michele in Oscar de la Renta - Pretty sure she's on all of my best dressed lists. She is a very trendy Gleek.


20. Julianne Moore in Lanvin - I loved, loved, loved this dress. Everything from the color to the ginormous sleeve. I only wish she would've remembered to iron the dress. With so much fabric, too many wrinkles can ruin a look. I would've ranked this in the top 5 for sure had it not looked so unkempt.

HONORABLE MENTIONS


Christina Aguilera in Zuhair Murad - Loved the dress but I don't think it was the best choice for the recently curvier pop star. 


Diana Agron in J Mendel - She looks like an angel. I just wish I'd see more color on her.


Emma Stone in Calvin Klein - This was a great dress just the wrong color. Totally washed her out. 


Jennifer Love Hewitt in Romona Keveza - Loved the ruffles in the bodice. 


Milla Jovovich in Armani Prive - Another instance of great dress, wrong color. 


Natalie Portman in Viktor and Rolf - She's been rocking adorable, flowy gowns throughout her pregnancy. Love it.


Nicole Kidman in Prada - Is it just me or does Nicole Kidman always look like a wax replica of herself? She looks great, though.

\
Scarlet Johanson in Elie Saab - It was a bit matronly for my taste but was pretty nonetheless. Without the sleeves, it would've been in the top 20 for sure.


Sofia Vergara in Vera Wang - Another fuchsia dress that's begging to be ironed. 

Alright. Now to the worst dressed of the evening. Lots of bad choices and stylists to be fired. 


1. Halle Berry - I don't understand how anyone could think that a "mullet dress" could be chic. Stop trying to make mullet dresses  happen. It's not going to happen.


2. Tina Fey in L'Wren Scott - Really, Tina Fey? A floor-length velvet dress with ruffles?! You're just lucky I love you because you're hilarious. 


3. Michelle Williams in Valentino - I think I used to have this dress when I was 6. 


4. Jenna Ushkowitz in Rebecca Taylor - I hate the color. I hate the jeweled belt. I hate the fringe. Gag.


5. Tilda Swinton in Jil Sander - Ok, Tilda. We get it. You're androgynous. I'm so bored with this look. 


6. Jennifer Lopez in Zuhair Murad - I wanted to rip off that overlay from the dress. WTF is that?! Not cute, J Lo. Not cute.


7. Helena Bonham Carter in Vivienne Westwood - Mismatched shoes. Check. Crazy hairstyle. Check. Funky shades. Check. I love you, HBC. Please hire a stylist.


8. Kelly Osbourne in Zac Posen - Kelly has been on a roll recently but I wasn't feeling this dress. At all. 


9. Megan Fox in Armani Prive - Not her best look. There is too much going on in the bodice and the color washes her out. Also, is she getting even thinner? Gross.


10. January Jones in Versace - Ok, I admit she looks amazing. Hair, makeup, and that body is pretty ridiculous. But I really feel like it was an inappropriate choice. Borderline trashy.


8 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot!!!!
    So good Page..
    NIce post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Remind me to ask you about things I need to wear to formal events.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Lu, I love this post. Totally agree with Anne Hathaway, Olivia Wilde & Mila Kunis (of course, many of the other ones but this is your blog, not mine). and WTF JLo disappointed me so so much! Even if she just took the shrug off and wore the dress I'de be happy! blegh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh dear, i really love leighton meester. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Site's character and a great color match .. I will recommend your site to the other platforms.
    Göğüs küçültme Estetiği

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed this site. Çene Cerrahisi I will recommend your site to other places. Saç Ekim Everyone does not show care. Estetik But you were preparing a site so rich in content. Estetik Burun Ameliyatı Everyone who helped, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Comments made ??about the issues impressed me. I like your site.
    fuesacekimi

    ReplyDelete