Monday, February 28, 2011

Academy Awards Red Carpet

I love award season. Alright. Top 15 best dressed first followed by 10 worst dressed.


1. Anne Hathaway in Valentino (left) and  Givenchy Haute Couture (right) - That night was HER night. In all fairness, girlfriend got to wear 9 different outfits but managed to look fabulous in all of them. She started the night on the red carpet in a gorgeous Valentino dress in classic Valentino red. I think this was probably her best look of the night. She then slipped into the dreamy Givenchy number which she looked like an ethereal goddess in.


Then we saw Miss Hathaway in a custom suit by Lanvin (left) with Swarovski encrusted pumps. Next dress change was into a Vivienne Westwood (middle) multi-tiered gown. She then vamped it up in an Oscar de la Renta fringed number.


My second favorite look was the deep red Atelier Versace gown (left). Jewel tones are definitely hot this season and she looked smoking hot in the garnet hued dress. Next was an electric blue Giorgio Armani dress (middle) that she looked quite regal in. She ended the show in a bedazzled Tom Ford dress (right) which was probably my least favorite look just because she was completely covered from head to toe, which is a bit matronly for her age. All in all, she was easily the best dressed diva of the evening.


2. Camila Alves in Kaufman Franco (left) and Dolce and Gabbana (right) -  Mrs. McConaughey was an absolute knock-out in the Dolce and Gabanna lace number that she wore to the Vanity Fair after show party. I know most people think lace is played out, but I think it's a classic sexy look that is timeless.


3. Mandy Moore in Monique Lhuillier - Little Miss Mandy Moore has grown up right in front of our eyes into a fashion-forward young woman. The singer/actress wore two different stunning Monique Lhuillier gowns. Although I prefer the blue dress she wore during her performance, she looked lovely on the red carpet as well. But that blue dress was what put her in the top 3. Absolutely gorgeous.


4. Jennifer Lawrence in Calvin Klein - Well, that's one way to make a name for yourself. This blonde bombshell is a new-comer to Hollywood but she made sure we wouldn't soon forget her. She looked smoking in this dress.


5. Cate Blanchett in Givenchy - I love that Cate takes risks. She's always on my best dressed list because she knows how to be both daring and chic at the same time. I especially loved the yellow bead detailing on the back of her gown. She rarely ever gets it wrong.


6. Sandra Bullock in Vera Wang - I love Sandy. Who doesn't? She's so lovable. And looked absolutely radiant in the ruby red gown.


7. Hailee Steinfeld in Marchesa - Another new-comer to Hollywood, the True Grit break-out star looked very age-appropriate and lovely in this Marchesa gown.


8. Halle Berry in Marchesa - This woman is eternally flawless. Love. Love. Love.


9. Scarlett Johannson in Dolce and Gabbana - Scarlett took a risk by wearing a floor-length purple lace gown but she most certainly pulled it off. She looks sexy without looking trashy which is quite an accomplishment with all that lace.


10 - Amy Adams in L'Wren Scott - I loved this dress when I saw it on the runway at NYFW and I LOVE it on Amy. The color looks fabulous on her and the styling with the hair and jewelry perfectly complimented the dress.


11. Hilary Swank in Gucci - I love this look. There was just the right amount of detail with the feathers and sequins without it being overwhelming.


12. Penelope Cruz in L'Wren Scott - This is her first red carpet appearance since delivering her baby a month ago and she looks absolutely stunning. She definitely has the new-mommy glow. Her and Javier are my absolute favorite couple in Hollywood. They are darling.


13. Mila Kunis in Elie Saab - Ever since she's been hitting all of the red carpets to promote Black Swan, Ms. Kunis has been on my radar for one of the best-dressed young stars in Hollywood. This lavender gown is no exception.


14. Georgina Chapman in Marchesa - I couldn't find anywhere to confirm that she's wearing one of her own designs but this dress screams "Marchesa" so I'm going to assume she is. Love this dress. Love Marchesa. I'm obsessed.


15. Natalie Portman in Rodarte - I love this jewel-toned dress on Natalie and it is probably her best pregnancy look  yet.

Time for the Worst Dressed......


1. Melissa Leo in Marc Bouwer - Melissa was just a complete hot mess that night. First of all, is she wearing a floor-length doily to the most important red carpet event of her life? Really? Fire your stylist. Now. He/She basically ruined your name in the fashion world.


2. Marisa Tomei in Charles James Couture - Marisa is eternally on my worst dressed list. She is a lovely girl with a terrible sense of style. This dress is hideous to begin with but also doesn't fit her at all.


3. Busy Phillips in Douglas Hannant - Busy was on some best dressed lists for this dress but I personally think it's a disaster. There is way too much going on here. It's too "Busy". See what I did there? Puns are great. No, but really. This is not a good look.


4. Helena Bonham Carter in Colleen Atwood - HBC is basically a permanent member of my worst-dressed list. But that doesn't change the fact that I worship her. She's probably my favorite actress of all time. So even though she dresses like a crazy person I still love and respect her for doing her own thing.


5. Sharon Stone in Dior - Is it just me or does she look like Cruella Deville?


6. Helen Mirren in Vivienne Westwood - My problem with this dress is the color. Not the most flattering. With all that fabric a jewel-tone would've been ideal. Although, I have to say, she looks stunning for 65.


7. Aishwarya Rai in Armani - Again my problem with the dress is the color. Brown? Really? Gross.


8. Florence Welch in Valentino (left) and Roksanda Ilinic (right) - It pains me to put her on my worst dressed list since she was on 2 of my previous best dressed lists. The layering and lace was just too much on the Valentino dress and the color was also off. The Roksanda Ilinic copper dress was an improvement but still didn't make up for her unfortunate red carpet choice.


9. Nicole Kidman in Christian Dior Couture - She is always hit or miss with me. She is a statuesque beauty that looks amazing in clothes but she doesn't always make the best choices. This dress has too much going on here. Simple is better. I would've preferred either the interesting layering or the beading but not both.


10. Michele Williams in Chanel - Although this is a vast improvement from her Golden Globes look, she still missed the mark with this ill-fitting gown. I actually like the dress but not on her. It washes her out. I don't know what to do with you, Michelle. Hire a new stylist? Or at least just pick a dress that's not beige or white next time? K? Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree with Anne Hathaway as number one! (even though the electric blue dress wasn't my fav). She rocked the Atelier Versace gown at the after parties and it was goorrgeous. Sorry, Lu, but I feel like Scarlett Johannson just could've done better... Anyway, you're blog is amazing :)
    P.S. Sharon Stone???? aahhhh whyyyyy, scary.

    ReplyDelete