Wednesday, February 23, 2011

London Fashion Week: Disappointing as Usual

I painfully sat through all of  the shows at London Fashion Week because I had hope. Hope that the next collection wouldn't be as atrocious as the last. There is no way the next one could be worse, right? Wrong. It was all terrible. Just terrible. Maybe I just don't understand the London look. Maybe it's genius and I'm just incapable of grasping the artistic message. Well, after sitting through all the shows, I was able to gather 10 shows that I enjoyed. Just 10. The rest were either uninteresting or grotesque. I will review the 10 shows I liked and show you, my beloved readers, the worse show I've seen in a long, long time. Ready? Ok. Let's do this.


Burberry Prorsum - This is Fall/Winter perfection. Bright and bold overcoats. Textured sweaters. Platform booties. Burberry consistently delivers practical and chic clothes.


 Clements Ribeiro - There was a wonderful mix of patterns and printed tights with solid black pieces. Something for everyone.



David Koma - So half of this collection was brilliant. I enjoyed the modern take on polka dots in the black and white outfits but the rest of the collection with the colored polka dots and random placement of bright fur accents was a disaster.


House of Holland - I loved the crocheted dresses and scarves mixed with the bold colors. The 70s theme was fun and the colored striped socks were an adorable finishing touch.


Julien Macdonald - Goth chic heaven. Love it ALL. Especially dig how he ended the show with colorful and feminine dresses to contrast to the heavy black pieces in the earlier part of the show. Well done.


Mark Fast - This is a hot goth mess. Take notes from Julien, Mark because this is not acceptable. No girl wants to wear leather overalls. I guarantee it.


Paul Smith - How cute are these menswear-inspired outfits? Adorable.


Sass and Bide - A lovely arrangement of colors, prints and textures.


Temperley London - Yes. Yes. Yes. Miss Alice Temperley makes me not hate London for the 20 minutes it took me to watch her show. The hooded sweater dress and boots combo was my favorite look. So funky and sophisticated at the same time.


Todd Lynn - I loved that the furs covered the girls' mouth. Very Neighbor Wilson. Let's call it Neighbor Wilson chic.




Central Saint Martins - Let me start off by saying, that this show had over 200 looks. You read that right. 200. While most collections have anywhere from 30-50, this show seemed to drag on for an eternity. Central Saint Martins is the most famous fashion school in London. Kind of like the Parsons of the UK. The graduates from the program showcase their work each season and for the Fall/Winter 2011 show, they displayed over 200 hideous, poorly constructed, disasters. These clothes are not wearable. It looks like they took sheets and scraps from other projects and glued them all together just for the hell of it. Ugh. They all get Fs if you ask me. But I guess I'm not a teacher at Central Saint Martins.

No comments:

Post a Comment