Friday, February 18, 2011

NYFW Highlights

The Fall/Winter 2011 shows at New York Fashion Week wrapped yesterday and I have to say, I am extremely pleased with what the designers sent down the runway. All of the designers stepped up their game and it was refreshing to watch all of the shows and not particularly hate anything. There were several trends that were prominent including lots of furs, bright jewel tones and plenty of leather and lace. Unfortunately, the mullet dress still hasn't died and a few collections managed to squeeze in the fabric-wasting garments in their shows. Oh well. I'm sure it will go away eventually. *fingers crossed* Since there were so many brilliant collections, I'm going to start with my top 10 favorite collections this season and then comment on 20 other stand-out collections that deserve recognition.

1. Marchesa - Georgina Chapman and Keren Craig are the two most talented female designers of our generation.  Period. Chapman said she was inspired by Miss Havisham from Great Expectations for this collection. She made the statement that "decaying opulence" is so Marchesa. I'd have to agree. Loved literally every piece in this collection. Bravo, ladies.




2. Monique Lhuillier - Monique is another insanely talented woman who can make one hell of a dress. The collection started off with mostly all black lacy dresses and ended with strong bursts of deep reds. Her dresses are consistently exquisite, delicate and feminine. I don't think I've ever seen any of her collections without wanting to own every single gown. 



3. Jason Wu - Can  you believe that he has only been in the fashion game for 3 years? Wu has such a distinct vision and I believe that he is sincerely gifted. He is so young and so fresh yet finds a way to make elegant garments that are fit for the First Lady or the girl next door.



4. Prabal Gurung - This collection to me had a little bit of everything. There were edgy pieces you could mix and match. There were cocktail dresses, sophisticated separates and lovely gowns. The juxtaposition of the soft, feminine dresses with the edgier bandage tights was quite interesting. I MUST own a pair of those tights.

5. L'wren Scott - She said she was inspired by the Gauguin painting Tropical Conversation and although I don't really see how that painting translated to this collection, I don't really care because it was a fabulous show. Her use of the striking patterns and colors made her garments stand out. After viewing dozens of collections, I certainly remembered hers at the end of the day. 


6. Marc Jacobs - You know why this main is a genius? Because he starts his collection with polka dots, adds a few lacy numbers, and then jumps to an entirely new print. And just when you think there is no way he can tie this all together, he ends with an outfit that included a polka dot top and a printed skirt. And it worked. Genius. 


7. Naeem Khan - Ostrich feathers, sequins, and intricate beading. The devil is in the details.


8. Michael Kors- The classic American designer celebrates his 30th anniversary in the fashion industry with this collection. And what a celebration! This is easily one of his best collections in the past few years. From the fur coats to the perfectly polished separates and dresses, this collection reminded me why he is a legend in American fashion.


9. Alice + Olivia - What I love about this designer is how youthful and fresh she keeps all of her collections. This is one line that I can see myself wearing now as a 20 something gal.


10. Anna Sui - Another youthful and funky collection from Ms. Sui. Honestly, those cat hats are what did it for me. Adorable.


The rest of the collections I enjoyed will be reviewed in alphabetical order.

Alexander Wang - This Parsons educated designer launched his first collection in 2007 when he was only 23 years old. Since then, his line has been one of the most, for a lack of a better word, coolest in the industry. I'm not even going to apologize for using that word. Alexander Wang's clothes are cool. They're a little rough around the edges, interesting and hip. And they're cool.


Badgley Mischka - This is where we first start seeing one of the most prominent themes this season: jewel tones. The brilliant fuchsias and purples lit up the runway. These colors make me happy.


Betsey Johnson - If you read my blog or know me in person, you would know by now that I am an avid fan of floral dresses. My closet is filled with them and the reason I love them is for their simple femininity. What Betsey did with the simple floral dress is funk it up and give it a few modern twists. These dresses would feel right at home in my closet.


Carlos Miele - What I enjoyed most about this collection was the sharp contrast of colors and prints that wasn't overwhelming. Even though the prints didn't necessarily match, they somehow all harmonized together. 


Christian Siriano - An all black collection is difficult to pull off because it's a struggle from beginning to end to keep your audience engaged. How can you make one black dress different from the next? What I loved about this array of black garments was the exploration of different textures and volumes. No one garment looked like the other yet they all seemed to be from the same family. I think it is safe to say Christian is no longer just a reality star but a fashion force to be reckoned with.


Costello Tagliapietra - This collection to me was all about the colors. I fell in love with that brilliant orange hue and was a little obsessed with the skin-tight orange pants.


Cynthia Steffe - The very first look sent down the runway was a leather vest with fur sleeves paired with a fitted asymmetrical gray skirt over cut-out stockings. I was immediately intrigued and couldn't wait to see the rest of the collection. Although nothing else in the show as as interesting as the first look, that creativity was enough to win me over.


Diane von Furstenberg - There was something magical about pairing a teal skirt with a blue blouse and a navy fur jacket. The use of jewel tones in this collection was more subtle but those were still my favorite pieces in the show.


Elie Tahari - More lace, leather, fur and ruby red. The tan lace dress paired with brown leather boots was probably my favorite look in the show. This level of sexy sophistication is what defines Elie Tahari.


Halston - Such simple yet beautiful use of jewel tones. Lovely.


Jeremy Scott - Scott said he was inspired by the 90s for this collection and although 90s fashion is something I'd rather not reminisce on, I did the show. Personal favorite was the black mini with the yellow lightning detail. Oh and extra points for featuring Andrej Pejic in the show! Loooove him.


Jill Stuart - I really enjoyed what I want to call the "Arizona desert" theme. Everything from the colors to the desert animal prints was refreshing and innovative. The color-blocking in the first 2 looks was on point and again, those colors just blew me away.


Marc by Marc Jacobs - Because one genius collection isn't enough. I can't wait to see what he designed for Louis Vuitton.


Milly - Guava, ruby red, candy pink. These colors are making me hungry! Loved the mix of color, prints and classic black dresses.


Rodarte - The Mulleavy sisters were inspired by the American Plains for this collection and I think it's totally adorable. The periwinkle dress reminds me of Dorothy frolicking down the yellow brick road and the red sequined skirt following it are her ruby shoes. Oz has never been so fashionable.


Thakoon - I enjoyed the colors, prints and draping but the only criticism I have about this collection is the lack of cohesiveness. It didn't really feel like the clothes complemented each other. Still loved them individually though.


The Row - The Olsen twins have been designing clothes since they were tweens so it's no surprise they are insanely talented at it. The designs are soooo Olsen, meaning they have that distinct look that they've taken from their own fashion preferences and transformed it into a solid collection.


Victoria Beckham - I have to say, I wasn't a huge fan of Posh's clothing line until this season. She was able to mix it up with new colors (jewel tones....duh!), new shapes, and has subsequently made a new fan.


Yigal Azrouel - This collection to me is the epitome of menswear. This is how its done. The cuts and fit are still feminine but the influence is from what is in your man's closet. Menswear doesn't have to be frumpy or baggy. I was never personally a fan of the trend before but these looks are definitely something I'd love to rock.


3 comments:

  1. So if someone said to you, Lucy, I'm going to give you one of these collections. Right now. But only one. And you can't sell anything. Which one would it be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I was a princess I'd say Marchesa. I'd wear those gowns every day. But since sadly, I'm not a princess, I'd go with Alice + Olivia or Anna Sui since their collections are totally my style. Oh, and I'd wear L'Wren Scott or DVF to work. How about you, Jax?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I think I could have predicted that. Monique Lhuillier if I were a princess, but my real answer is L'Wren Scott, based on the pics you posted, anyway. 10 years from now, Michael Kors, easy.

    ReplyDelete