Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Met Gala 2011: The McQueen and McCartney Show

The Metropolitan's Costume Institute Gala is easily my favorite fashion event of the year. Some stars take risks and wear daring and totally fierce gowns while others play it safe and wear pretty dresses that won't get them on any best-dressed lists but will keep them from making the "Oh No She Didn't" lists. There was definitely a mix of both last night at the opening of the Met's "Savage Beauty" exhibit that pays tribute to Alexander McQueen's body of work. Naturally, lots of ladies wore McQueen but it seems like most everyone else wore another Brit, Stella McCartney's designs. Shall we count them down? Let's.

TOP 20 BEST DRESSED


1.  Shalom Harlow in Marchesa - This was my favorite gown from Marchesa's Spring 2011 collection so I was absolutely thrilled when I saw Shalom rocking the dress last night. Absolutely stunning!


2. Ginnifer Goodwin in Topshop - Ginnifer was the only one wearing green last night and she definitely stood out in the crowd. Her bright emerald dress with sexy cutouts and the complimenting accessories made this look perfection from head to toe.


3. Liv Tyler in Givenchy Haute Couture - I'm obsessed with Givenchy's couture collections. They are certainly not the easiest gowns to pull off but Liv looked lovely in the white and yellow feathered frock.


4. Christina Ricci in Zac Posen - One of the trends the past 2 seasons has been goth chic and this to me is the epitome of that look. I wasn't crazy about the hair and make-up but she looks pretty damn hot in that dress. Work it, gurl!


5. Freida Pinto in Chanel - It was refreshing to see such an adorable girl in such a fierce gown. I was in love with this gown when I saw it in the Spring 2010 Couture collection and Freida looks totally glam in it.


6. Bar Refaeli - I tried finding on the internet who made this dress but it was just referred to as "sequined gown" so I suppose no one cared enough to find out either. Well, Bar looks stunning in this dress and I'm loving the turquoise earrings she paired with it.


7. Dakota Fanning in Valentino - Ms. Fanning is growing up to be quite the little fashionista. She pretty much always gets it right with her red carpet choices and last night was no exception. I love that since the dress is so detailed and intricate, she chose to have very minimal make up and accessories. Well-played.


8. Ashley Olsen in vintage Dior - The Olsens either get it very right or very, very wrong. In this case, I adored what Ashely wore last night. This is probably the best she's looked in a while. Can't say the same about MKO. She's on my "other" list.....


9. Amy Adams in L'Wren Scott - God, I love this dress and Amy kills in it.


10. Diane Kruger in Jason Wu - Diane is one of those stars that's perpetually on my best-dressed lists. She has a fabulous sense of style and perfectly embodies the "Hollywood glam" look. And it doesn't hurt that she has that  model body that looks great in anything she puts on.


11. Emma Stone in Lanvin - It's no secret, that I'm a fan of floral print dresses and Emma effortlessly pairs this glamorous gown with a perfectly pink pout.


12. Ashley Greene in Donna Karan - Simply stunning.


13. Karen Elson in Alexander McQueen - Although it wasn't over-the-top or extravagant, this was actually my favorite of all the McQueen looks the ladies rocked last night.


14. Rihanna in Stella McCartney - This girl can do no wrong in my eyes. She is the starlet who most embodies my personal style and I seriously can't wait what she's going to wear to red carpets because it's typically something I'd LOVE to have in my closet.


15. Karolina Kurkova in John Paul Gaultier - This dress is the definition of FIERCE. The white lace leggings are to die for (as are Karolina's legs!). This whole look is just a masterpiece.


16. Naomi Campbell in Alexander McQueen - This is definitely a McQueen dress that is hard to pull off but Naomi brings it. She's one of those canvases that looks good in anything.


17. Rosie Huntington-Whitely in Burberry Prorsum - Now that's what I call hot pink! The supermodels all served it last night.


18. Nicole Richie in Jason Wu - There were several long-sleeved, floor-lengthened gowns but Nicole's stood out due to the funky cut-out sleeves. This was classic Nicole Richie hippy chic.



19. Kerry Washington in Escada - I was in love with this shade of mint green on Kerry's gorgeous skin.


20. Jennifer Lopez in Gucci - Some people put Jenny on their worst-dressed lists due to the over-the-top floral sleeves but I thought the sleeves were fabulous. You do your thing, girl. I'm definitely a fan!


21. Michele Alves in Abed Mahfouz - Have no idea who Michele Alves is? Me neither. Never heard of Abed Mahfouz? Me neither. Whoever she is, she looks stunning in this dress by what's his name.

HONORABLE MENTIONS


Shining in Chanel - Both Blake Lively and Anna Wintour looked lovely in Chanel. Blake's dress was definitely a risk and Anna's dress was originally a strapless gown but she had custom sleeves put on because she's Anna and she can. 


Golden Girls - Claire Danes pretty much always wears floor-length gold dresses. She has a closet like Doug's with 20 of the same dresses lined up. I mean, she looks great in them, but it just gets kinda old. Elizabeth Banks looks very old-school Hollywood in her Tommy Hilfiger gown.


Daphne Guinness in Alexander McQueen - Daphne is probably a little bit insane. She is known for he ridiculous get-ups and of course she decided to wear one of the most over-the-top McQueen dresses she could. No hate though. Girlfriend takes risks like no one else and owns it.



Scarlet Fever - Lots of red on the red carpet last night. Dianna Agron looked very chic in her Michael Kors dress. Doutzen Kroes brought the drama in her Giambattista Valli crimson gown. Gisele wowed in Alexander McQueen and Glee cutie, Lea Michele rocked her red Escada gown. 




How Nude! Another prominent theme last night was flesh-toned gowns. Fergie opted for an intricate Marchesa gown which I personally think was too much dress for her. Renee Zellweger looked lovely in her Carolina Herrera gown that fit her like a glove. Kate Hudson was absolutely glowing in her Stella McCartney dress. Gwyneth looked predictably chic in another long-sleeved, floor-length Stella McCartney gown. She looked great but I feel like she's a little one-note these days with her style choices. Salma Hayek and Sarah Jessica Parker looked lovely in their cream colored Alexander McQueen gowns.


Silver Divas - Keri Hison wore a fabulous Atelier Versace gown and Ciara looked funky fresh in this Prabal Gurung gown. Both ladies looked amazing.


Stellar in Stella - Madonna had on this star-spangled Stella McCartney gown and Iman, who by the way is 55 years old, killed it in her Stella McCartney jumpsuit.


Hot Pink Ladies - Michelle Monaghan in Derek Lam and Brooklyn Decker in Michael Kors wore two very similar dresses and both looked lovely. I think though I prefer Brooklyn's more vibrant dress from the two.


Miranda Kerr in Marchesa and Jennifer Hudson in Vera Wang. Miranda makes an adorable ballerina and Jennifer has been consistently fabulous this past year.


Chic in Black - Penelope Cruz looked very Penelope in her Oscar de la Renta gown. Leighton Meester went with a rocker chic look in Louis Vuitton. Leighton is one of those other girls whose personal style I adore and she never disappoints.


Pretty in Print - Sofia Vergara looking fabulous in Carolina Herrera. And this is the first time in months Michelle Williams isn't on my worst dressed list. She actually looked pretty darn cute in this Miu Miu dress.

WORST DRESSED


1. Taylor Swift in J Mendel - It's hard to tell if my negative judgment of Tay-Tay's dress is solely because I just don't like her or if she actually looks bad. I'm gonna go with both.


2. Alicia Keys in Givenchy - I just wanna yank that jacket off her. There is way too much brown on this outfit. And who wears a leather jacket with that gown? No, Alicia. Just no.


3. Solange Knowles in Dries Van Noten - Solange and the more-talented Knowles both looked a hot mess last night. This print is just too much, her hair is too much, her make-up is too much and the expression on her face is exactly the same one I got when I saw her look on the red carpet.


4. Beyonce in Pucci - She literally looks like she's about to suffocate in that thing. It's actually not a terrible dress but it definitely doesn't fit her. I read somewhere that she needed two people to help her get up and down stairs. So not fabulous.


5. Mary Kate Olsen in something vintage - No one on the internet knows what she's wearing but does it even matter? MKO definitely missed the mark with this dress. Was this really the most fabulous thing she could find to wear to the event? Shame.


6. Lucy Liu in Vionnet - With too many feathers and awkward proportions, I definitely didn't love Lucy's look.


7. Jessica Szohr in some inappropriate trashy dress. "She doesn't even go here!"


8. Jessica Alba in Ralph Lauren - Ok, Jess, we know you're like pregnant and stuff but do you think you could've at least ironed your dress before you left the house?


9. Christina Hendricks in Carolina Herrera - If this dress was sleeveless, I'd probably still hate it but I 'd definitely hate it less. So what I'm trying to say is, I hated this dress.


10. Kristen Steward in Proenza Schouler - Ok so this dress is actually mildly fabulous but it's just habit for me to put Kristen on my worst-dressed lists. I'm not ready to take her off until she really impresses me.

No comments:

Post a Comment